- 250 ml mayonnaise / velouté (white sauce)
- 250 g fresh tomatoes, soaked in warm water, peeled, chopped small
- 120 ml tomato soaking water
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 90 g shallot, cut into small dice
- 30 g anchovies
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp dried herbs, chopped small
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp green pepper
- 1 tsp capers
- 1 tsp dried vegetables
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp spices (from speculaas mixture or allspice, cardamon, clove, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, white pepper)
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- 1 tsp wine vinegar
- 1 red chilli pepper (optional)
Soak tomatoes in boiling water, skin, remove core, chop into small pieces.
Sweat shallots in oil over a medium heat until they begin to soften, add anchovies, garlic, tomatoes, dried herbs, dried vegetables, seasonings and spices. Cook until the liquid has evaporated.
Add the capers, mustard, soy sauce and wine vinegar, and, if using, the chilli pepper and sugar.
Fold the tomato mixture into mayonnaise or a velouté, blend, reheat gently and serve with potato frites or use as a dressing on a mitraillette.
Alternatively omit the blending stage and serve as a coarse sauce.