The dry gerstel leaven can be omitted and replaced with the same amount in wholewheat flour. The poolish is optional.
- 630 ml water, heated to 38ºC
- 600 g strong white wheat flour
- 400 g white wheat flour, t550
- 100 g spelt berries, soaked for two hours in 200 ml mineral water, drained
- 60 ml 50:50 rye-mineral water poolish (optional)
- 50 g dry gerstel leaven / 50 g wholewheat flour
- 25 g yeast
- 15 g pomegranate molasses
- 15 g salt
- 15 g sugar
- Malted barley flour / malted rye flour, large pinch
- Butter, for greasing
Stir the dry leaven into the poolish, add the molasses and a small piece of yeast, leave for an hour at room temperature.
After 45 minutes dissolve remaining yeast in the warm water with the sugar and 50 g of the white flour, leave to froth.
Combine the flours, add the salt, yeast mixture and poolish mixture.
Knead into a smooth dough, about 15 minutes, leave to rise for an hour, degas and leave for a further hour.
Work the berries into the dough.
Divide into two pieces, place in greased loaf tins, allow to rise, about two hours.
Preheat oven to 220ºC.
Bake for 40 minutes.