- 1.5 litres fish stock, heated
- 350 g carnaroli rice
- 300 g fresh shellfish – clams, mussels, razor clams, shrimp – all whole; cuttlefish, squid – chopped small)
- 100 g onion, chopped
- 75 ml dry white wine
- 50 g parmigiano, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed, chopped
- 20 g butter, for frying and dressing
- 15 ml olive oil
- 15 g parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
Sauté garlic and onion in butter and oil in a deep, wide frying pan over a low heat, about ten minutes.
Increase heat to high, coat rice, toast for three minutes, stirring constantly.
Pour in the wine and allow to evaporate, decrease heat to medium, add a ladleful of the hot stock, simmer and stir until the liquid is absorbed.
Repeat until rice is creamy but not cooked through, about 15 minutes.
There should be some liquid floating on the surface of the rice.
Turn heat to low.
Lay the fish on top of the rice, in stages according to the cooking requirements of the fish, covering the pan each time – for clams, mussels and shrimp about five minutes, for cuttlefsh and squid about ten minutes.
Complete with butter, cheese, parsley and pepper.
Remove from heat, leave to rest for ten minutes.