These ingredients produce a fruity stock. For a citrus flavoured stock replace the pomegranate with 4 lemons or 4 oranges, quartered.
- 3 litres water
- 2 kg beef bones, roasted in oven
- 1 large celeriac root, roasted in oven, cubed small
- 600 g (2) carrots, roasted in oven, cubed small
- 1 pomegranate, cut into quarters
- 300 g (1) leek, sliced
- 200 g beef shank, cut into large pieces
- 200 g (1) parsnip, roasted in oven, cubed small
- 2 celery stalks, cubed
- 4 dried apricots
- 4 dried pears
- 12 juniper berries
- 6 allspice grains
- 6 black peppercorns
- 6 barberries
- 5 marjoram sprigs
- 5 thyme sprigs
- 1 lovage stalk
- 2 bay (laurel) leaves
Place all the ingredients in a large pot with sufficient water to cover, gradually bring to a rolling boil. Remove the scum that rises to the surface, reduce heat and simmer for five hours, strain.
For a beef jelly reduce liquid by two-thirds.