- 1.5 litres water
- 1 kg lamb neck / shoulder, cut into 3 cm dice
- 300 g almonds, blanched, skinned, roasted in 15 ml olive oil
- 300 g dried apricots / raisins, soaked in 300 ml water overnight, drained
- 300 g onion, chopped small
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 90 g sesame seeds, dry roasted
- 60 g clarified butter / Smen (see below)
- 60 g forest honey
- 30 g Moroccan spice mixture / Ras-el-Hanout
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- 2 cm ginger root, grated / 10 g ginger powder
- 5 g saffron threads, large pinches, crushed x 2
- 5 g turmeric powder, large pinches
- 5 g black pepper, pinches x 2
- 5 g salt, pinches x 2
Place the lamb in a large bowl, add the ginger, saffron, turmeric, seasonings and spice mixture. Rub spices into the meat. Pour sufficient water to cover, refrigerate overnight.
Melt butter in oil in a saucepan over a low heat, add the onion and salt, sauté for ten minutes. Add the meat, increase heat and brown. Pour sufficient water to cover, add cinnamon, reduce heat, cover and simmer until the meat is cooked.
Remove cinnamon sticks and discard. Remove the meat with a slotted spoon and keep warm. Add the honey and apricots or raisins to the remaining liquid, reduce to a sauce consistency. Put meat back in the sauce, heat through.
Serve with the roasted almonds and roasted sesame seeds.
Smen MOROCCO EUROPE clarified butter
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 5 g salt
Melt butter, then simmer for 30 minutes. Strain through muslin several times until the liquid is clear, add salt, pour into a sterlised jar.