A festive season tradition in Cologne when familes come together on December 24 to eat potato salad and a combination of bacon, cutlets, meatballs and sausages.
Generally the potato salad will contain apples, gherkins, onions and the juice from the gherkin jar.
The mayonnaise versus vegetable stock debate is also apparent.
Äädäppelschlot is also served as a buffet food, especially at parties.
- 1 kg potatoes, boiled in their skins, peeled, 4 cm cubed
- 500 g sausage meat, seasoned with 15 g ground mixed peppercorns and 5 g salt, shaped into 25 g balls, fried in 15 ml vegetable oil until crispy / 4 fresh sausages, grilled
- 4 eggs, hardboiled, peeled, halved and cooled
- 250 g sour apple, peeled, cored, 2 cm cubed
- 250 ml veg stock, hot
- 200 g onions, thinly sliced
- 4 slices smoked back bacon, grilled until crispy, sliced into strips (optional)
- 4 gherkins, 2 cm cubed / sliced
- 150 g cream cheese / mayonnaise
- 60 g (4) radishes, sliced / cut into strips
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 50 g cornsalad
- 30 ml gherkin juice / Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp ground mixed peppercorns
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 4 parsley springs, chopped
- 10 chives, chopped
- Salt, large pinch
Pour the hot vegetable stock into the hot potatoes, leave until the potatoes have absorted the stock, about two hours. Drain off stock not sucked into the potatoes.
While still hot mix in the cream cheese followed by the mustard. Or, if mayonnaise is preferred, leave until cold to add the mayonnaise and mustard.
Add the apples, onions and scallions. Stir in the gherkin juice or lemon juice and vinegar. Season.
Serve garnished with the bacon, caraway seeds, cornsalad, eggs, gherkins, meatballs, parsley and radishes.