A popular Greek pilaf associated with goat and lamb, it is also cooked with orzo and served with chickpeas.
- 750 ml water, hot
- 500 g Carolina medium grain rice, soaked in 500 ml hot water, drained
- 500 g lamb pieces from roasted leg, chopped
- 300 g onions, chopped small
- 30 g butter
- 30 ml olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (optional)
- 10 g black pepper
- 5 g salt
Heat oil in large saucepan, sauté onions until they are soft.
Add garlic (if using), lamb, rice, seasonings and hot water.
Bring to the boil.
Reduce heat, cover, cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, dress with butter.
Serve with parsley and yoghurt.
Rice with Orzo
- 2 litres vegetable stock
- 800 g carolina rice, soaked in 800 ml hot water, washed, strained, cooled
- 300 g orzo pasta
- 100 g olive oil
- 35 g salt
Heat oil in heavy-based deep saucepan and sauté the orzo until they turn brown. Add rice, stock and salt, cook until orzo and rice are soft.
INDIGENOUS INGREDIENTS = Greek Rice | Turkish Rice