BELGIUM FRANCE GERMAN LUXEMBOURG NETHERLANDS
A Flemish dish associated with Brussels, stoemp is popular in Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, northern France and western Germany.
- 750 g carrots, peeled, cubed
- 750 g floury potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 300 g onions, chopped small
- 5 g nutmeg, grated
- Black pepper, freshly ground, large pinch
- Salt, large pinch
- Butter, for mash (optional)
- Milk, for mash (optional)
- Water, for boiling
Boil carrots, onions and potatoes with a pinch of salt in sufficient water to cover in a large pot, drain, mash, season and, if necessary, add a small amount of butter and milk. Serve with choice of meat and vegetables.