There are countless versions of this breakfast-supper dish, from a basic rice porridge dressed with boiled shredded chicken to an elaborate rice congee made with coconut milk dressed with fried chicken, chilli sauce, oyster sauce and soy sauce, garnished with coriander leaves, deep-fried onions and omelette strips.
- 1.5 litres coconut milk / water
- 2 chicken breasts, marinaded in two tablespoons of sesame oil and one crushed garlic clove for an hour, chopped into 1 cm cubes
- 400 g long grain rice, soaked in water for two hours
- 250 g shallots, fried in 45 ml vegetable oil until crispy
- 200 g onion, sliced
- 1 egg, beaten, fried into an omelette, cut into strips
- 2 lemongrass stalks, crushed
- 3 cm ginger, crushed
- 4 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp chilli sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cm cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- Salt, large pinch
- Coriander leaves, for garnish
- Light soy sauce, for dressing
- Sweet soy sauce, for dressing
Cook rice in the water with cinnamon, cloves, ginger, lemongrass and salt until it dissolves into a porridge, remove whole spices.
Pour the sesame and vegetable oils into a frying pan, sauté the garlic and onions for about ten minutes over a medium heat.
Add the chicken cubes, chilli sauce or oyster sauce and seasonings, fry until the chicken is cooked.
Serve the rice with chicken mixture on top.
Garnish with coriander leaves, omelette strips, sweet soy sauce and fried shallots. Dress with soy sauces.
INDIGENOUS INGREDIENTS = Cinnamon | Coconut Milk | Ginger | Lemongrass | Long Grain Rice | Omelette Strips | Oyster Sauce | Sesame Oil | Shallots | Sweet Soy Sauce